The heart of the city, Piazza Maggiore is the result of centuries-old transformations that gradually enriched it with important buildings: the Basilica of San Petronio, the Palazzo dei Notai, the Palazzo d’Accursio, the Palazzo del Podestà and the Palazzo dei Banchi.
It dates back to 1200, when the Municipality began to acquire houses and land to build a square, which, on one hand, was to represent the importance of the municipal institution and, on the other, was to bring together the various city activities (exchanges, trade and services of various kind).
Only from the 16th century did it begin to be known as Piazza Maggiore, even if the name of the King of Italy, Vittorio Emanuele II, was attributed to the square from the expulsion of the Austrians in 1944. So only starting from 1945 did the square and the immediately surrounding area begin to be officially known with the current name: Piazza Maggiore.
- Art & Culture