Welcome is Bologna

Chiesa di San Martino

Via Oberdan, 25 - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Phone +39 051 234662

Reference maps: C-4

MAP

Date of last update: 21/02/2020, 16:02

The church of San Martino, built in the first half of the 14th century, was the cradle of the Bolognese community of the Carmelite Order since the 13th century. It was also provided with brick vaults in 1457 and a new front only towards the end of the 15th century, then brought back to Gothic forms in 1879.

The elegant and airy interior is enlivened by Renaissance noble chapels, custodians of precious pictorial works, including the paintings by Francesco Francia, Amico Aspertini, Paolo Uccello, Lodovico Carracci, Lorenzo Costa, Girolamo da Carpi, Alessandro Tiarini and Girolamo da Sermoneta, who, more specifically, made the altarpiece of the main altar with the enthroned Madonna and Saints (Madonna in trono e Santi) (1548).

On the right of the presbytery stands the sixteenth-century organ, an element of exceptional value due to the decorations and sound. The cloisters and rooms of the adjacent former Carmelite convent are also very interesting.

by bus: lines and timetables on the website www.tper.it

by car: located in restricted traffic zone ZTL. Ring road exits  n. 7-8-9 direction city center.

from Monday to Saturday 8.00am - 12.00pm and 4.00pm - 7.00pm; Sunday and holidays 9.00am -12.00pm and 4.00pm - 7.00pm. During the religious services, the tourist visit could be limited or suspended. Opening times can be subjected to little changes. For further information please call: Curia Arcivescovile tel. +39 051 6480611

Chiesa di San Martino