Located along the walls between Porta Maggiore and Santo Stefano, the building of Casa Carducci dates back to the 16th century and was initially the residence and oratory of the Confraternity of Santa Maria della Pietà. Giosuè Carducci, who moved to Bologna as a university professor, lived here, from 1890 to 1907 (the year of his death).
The Museum, which is housed on the ground floor since 1990, was established in 1893 to trace the history of Bologna from the French Revolution until the end of the First World War. The overall history of Bologna is part of the wider panorama of the period of the Italian unification, an epic undertaking, which is considered no longer exclusively from a military and heroic point of view, but as an integral part of civilian life, in its cultural, social, political and economic aspects.
On the first floor there is the apartment of Carducci, which is almost intact, and its Library which documents the best of literary production from the 16th to the 19th century. Here are preserved ancient editions of rare texts, the archive of Carducci himself where he has preserved his work in verse and prose and useful testimonies to document himself and to pass on his multi-faceted activity to posterity.
Telephone: Museo: +39 051 347592
- Art & Culture
Motor disability and difficulty of movement
People with reduced or impaired motor skills can access the museum through a side entrance, announcing their presence through an intercom on the entrance wall. In this way, the staff - very helpful - can set up a mobile ramp (with a slope of more than 20%) necessary to overcome two steps of 15 cm. In general the exhibition hall provides enough space to view the works on display. There are no handicap restrooms. The only toilets are located in the basement and can be reached only through a very steep staircase.
Casa Carducci is located on the first floor. The presence of spiral stairs makes it inaccessible to wheelchair users.
At the entrance visitors are given a photocopy that completely replaces the captions within the halls and is designed as a brief guide for the visit. However, an autonomous visit is difficult because the photocopy includes lots of text and few images and uses a level of language that is not always easy to understand. Also visible in the museum are a stamp collection and the Carducci residence and garden about which the visitor will find no information, so it is necessary to ask at the ticket office. There are no means of visual communication in case of alarm in the restrooms or in the lift.
The items are mainly held under glass, but some of them can be explored tactilely with the assistance of museum educational staff and by reservation only. The museum also has a tactile presentation available, developed together with the Anteros Tactile Museum of the Francesco Cavazza Institute for the Blind, which can be experienced in the classroom with booking and with the assistance of a museum operator. Casa Carducci can be visited by the visually impaired accompanied by staff, who show great commitment in assisting the visually impaired visitors and tactilely exploring much of the Carducci residence. In both museums there are no explanatory materials in Braille or in large print and captions are difficult to read for visually impaired visitors.
For more information please check here
Individual or group guided visits but only following initiatives promoted by the Direction of the Museum or by telephone booking; book-shop; didactic section; audiovisual and conference room; exhibition room; historical and museum advising for bibliographical and documentary research. Documents and objects can be borrowed by Bodies and Associations for the organization of exhibitions
Sat, Sun and hol. 10am-2pm
Closed on Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu