The building was raised where an old church (300 before Christ) belonging to the monks of the Order of Saint Benedict was once located. It was given a gothic style between the 14th and 15th century. It was then rebuilt and renovated several times by great masters of the 16th century such as Antonio Morandi, also known as the Terribilia (he renovated the entire building) and Domenico Tibaldi (he enlarged the apse). The inside part of the building is characterized by one nave and two aisles, where the chapels can be found. Behind the altar, along with the choir by Giuseppe Giacomo from Mirandola, there is also the Ark preserving the body of Saint Procolo (one of the first Christian martyrs in Bologna). In the past the building used to house law students and after 1797 the area belonging to the abbey first hosted the hospital known as Ospedale degli Esposti and then a department of Ospedale Maggiore.
In 1741 Alfonso Torreggiani renovated the Isolani Chapel and built the high altar. The current façade is the result of renovation works of the 19th century. Inside the buiding there are works of art by Lippo di Dalmasio, Bartolomeo Cesi, Giuseppe Pedretti.
During the religious services, the tourist visit could be limited or suspended. Opening times can be subjected to little changes. For further information please call: Curia Arcivescovile tel. 051.331223.