Porta della Mascarella conserves its original look. It was built in 13th century but it was alternately open and closed. A drawbridge over the moat was built in 1354 but later it was closed again for security reasons – its location was considered risky and it had to be reinforced repeatedly. Inhabitants living near the gate reinforced and reopened the gate in 1381 but it was closed several times during the first half of the 15th century. The tower that dominated the gate was demolished in 1511 because of the risk to be hit by the artillery. A small custom house was located outside of the gate. The custom house was rebuilt several times during the centuries and it was demolished at the beginning of the 20th century.
Source: "Restauro delle porte di Bologna 2007-2009"