Porta delle Lame could be called the “Water Gate” (“Porta delle acque”) not only because of the near old port and the next standing “salara” (storage of salt) but also because of many lakes and marshland outside of the gate (“lame” in Latin means marshland). The gate was built in the 13th century with a covered keep; two drawbridges were built in 1334 (one pedestrian bridge and one for carriages). It was closed several times because of its difficult defence. It was radically rebuilt in 1674 and 1677 when the medieval keep was demolished and the present gate was built in the baroque style. One important moment of the modern history is related to the gate: the victory of partisans against the Nazi troops after long fights in November 1944.
Source: "Restauro delle porte di Bologna 2007-2009"