Piazza Galvani is located behind Basilica di San Petronio and in front of the portico leading to Palazzo dell'Archiginnasio (originally built to host the University, once located in many different buildings). At the centre of the square there is a marble statue by Adalberto Cencetti representing Luigi Galvani, a famous bolognese scholar mainly known for his research about bioelectricity, while observing the famous frog he used to study.
The area where now Piazza Galvani can be found, once hosted the silk market (from 1449 to the 17th century) and in 1563 it was totally trasnformed to adapt to new needs: firstly, Palazzo dell'Archiginnasio was built; secondly, the nearby block was demolished and finally, the area was enlarged to host the future Piazza Galvani. The main aim of all these changes was to create a more decent area and to give prominence to Palazzo dell'Archiginnasio.
Throughout the years, the square was given several names: Piazza dell'Accademia, Piazza dell'Archiginnasio, Piazza delle Scuole, Piazza del Paviglione, until 1801 when it came to be known as Piazza della Pace to homage the treat of peace between Napoleon and Austria. In 1871 it was finally named after Luigi Galvani and now it is still known as Piazza Galvani.
Source: "Le Piazze di Bologna" (L'inchiostroblu)
Download the free audio guide:
The Classic Itinerary: The emotion of the city landmarks