Piazza di Porta Ravegnana (originally known as Porta Ravennate) is the place where “le due torri”, (the two towers, symbols of Bologna) and the statue of San Petronio (the patron Saint of the city) may be found. The name of this place is probably due to the presence, in ancient times, of a “Porta” (a big door that was part of the ancient walls of the city) where the road leading to Ravenna used to be, Via Emilia.
In the past the square underwent many changes and between the 19th and the 20th centuries it became a sort of junction for different roads such as Via Zamboni, the one leading to the university area. On one side of the square there are the “due torri” and behind them, part of S. Bartolomeo's Church may be seen. On the opposite side there is a noble palace, that used to host “Arte dei Drappieri” (one of the old crafts of the city) and that now houses the bookshop Feltrinelli. At the centre of the square there is the statue of San Petronio: it was moved to the church dedicated to him in 1871 and then moved back again to Piazza di Porta Ravegnana.