The Philarmonic School was first funded in 1804 whilst in 1942 it became Conservatory of music and took up the name of Giovanni Battista Martini, leading musician and composer of the 18th century and famous all over the world.
It is the oldest public music school in Italy. Mattei, Golinelli, Gaspari, Mancinelli, Martucci, Bossi, Nordio, Zecchi, Benedetti Michelangeli were once teachers of the school while Rossini, Donizetti, Malipiero, Molinari Pradelli and many more once studied here.
Today the school counts around one hundred teachers, engaged in the study of classical, electronic and jazz music. Since 2013 the Conservatory owns a second building, located in via Ca’ Selvatica. Like other prestigious Conservatories of music in Italy, it is a member of “AFAM-Alta Formazione Artistica e Musical” (Advanced art and music education).