Welcome is Bologna

Collezioni Comunali d'Arte

c/o Palazzo D'Accursio Piazza Maggiore 6 - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Phone +39 051 2193998

Reference maps: D-3

Date of last update: 21/09/2016, 09:42

Founded in 1936 in the former winter apartments of the Cardinal Legates in the Town Hall, the Collezioni Comunali d'Arte (Municipal Art Collections) represent the closing stage of a comprehensive reorganisation of the municipal museums, started with Italy's unification by the local administration. The old core of artworks already belonging to the previous town governments, such as the "Magistrature", was then widened by adding parts of the collection previously belonging to artist and art collector Pelagio Palagi which was to become the core of the most important municipal museums, together with the properties of the then-dismantled religious orders, and bequests made by collectors, families, private citizens throughout the centuries. The rooms, which were extensively restored in the Thirties, still keep relevant painted portions (friezes, wood ceilings, and vaults) mostly from the 15th to the 18th centuries. Having kept the original layout from the Thirties, today the Collection is laid out as a "furnished museum", where canvasses, furniture, furnishings, not always displayed in a chronological order, mark the sequence of historical rooms opening one into the other: the great "Vidonian" hall, interspersed with paintings and sculptures, recalls the Baroque gallery arrangement; in several rooms of the "Rusconi" ell, furnishings come to the fore, thus evoking 18th-century private mansions.

Sala Urbana, otherwise known as Sala degli Stemmi (Coats of Arms' Hall)  was built in 1630 by the Apostolic Legate Bernardino Spada, who dedicated it to Pope Urbano VIII.
The hall, with a rectangular plan, was designed by the architect  Ercole Fichi, the artists Girolamo Curti and Agostino Mitelli and the painter Michele Colonna who decorated the ceiling, creating one of the most important works of the Bologna's Baroque.

The 188 Coats of Arms of Apostolic Legates, deputy Legates and Papal governors represent the history of Bologna and of the Church from 1327 to 1744.
The hall was closed in 2006 because of its state of degradation. The restoration works were carried out from April 2013 to June 2014 within two European projects, fixing the ceiling with modern frames and installing the new cover of the hall protecting paintings from the sun radiation. The new ventilation system (without use of air-conditioning) and the new low energy consumption lighting system were put on. The painted decorations of the hall were restored as well.

by bus: lines and timetables on the website www.tper.it

by car: located in restricted traffic zone ZTL. Ring road exits  n. 11/11bis-12 direction city center.

full € 5.00, reduction € 3.00 (visitors over 65, visitors from 18 to 25, groups of min. 10 people, Comune di Bologna Family Card and YoungERcard holders, special agreements)

Free admission: first Sunday of each month, young people up to 18, university students with membership card, classes of secondary schools, 2 leaders for each school group, 1 leader for each group of 10 people, 1 adult with a child who attends workshops planned by the museum, tourist guides with badge, journalists with badge, disabled people and their helpers, Icom members, special agreements, people as indicated in clause 4, paragraph 3, letter a, b, d, e, f, g, h, i – Decree n. 507 dating 11/12/1997 and further modifications  (also students and teachers of  Conservatory and other schools as specified in the letter h of the decree), Musei Metropolitani Card owners, Bologna Welcome Card owners.

Tuesday - Friday: 9.00 am - 6.30 pm; Saturdays, Sundays and holidays: 10.00 am - 6.30 pm. Closing days: Mondays (except holidays), 1st May, 25th December, 1st January. 

guided visits, educational services, conference room, bookshop, access for the disabled, brochure (Italian, English, French, German).
Guided tours for schools are available by appointment during the school year. Info: Educational Department tel. +39 051 2757209 and +39 051 6496652 or MCAADidattica@comune.bologna.it

Downlodable documents

Sala Urbana
Documents type: PDF Documents dimension: 465.06 Kb

Collezioni Comunali d'Arte