The Church of Santa Maria dei Servi was built on behalf of father Andrea Manfredi from Faenza and master Antonio di Vincenzo, who had already cooperated for the project of the Church of San Petronio. In front of the building there is a airy space surrounded by porticoes of tall marble columns. The construction of the portico began in 1393 and it was completed between the 16th and the 19th century. The Church now stands out for its gothic style, particularly evident in the apse and in the three inside naves on which the whole structure stands.
There are several important works of art, first of all Madonna in trono by Cimabue (13th century), the marble altarpiece by Michelangelo Montorsoli (1558-61), the 14th century frescoes by Vitale from Bologna, a peculiar clay polyptych by Lippo from Dalmasio and precious paintings by G. M. Crespi, Albani, Calvart and other Bolognese masters of the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries.
Source: Curia Arcivescovile and Le Chiese di Bologna (L'Inchiostroblu)
Every day 7.30 am - 12.30 pm / 3.30 - 7.00 pm (Winter) 4.00 - 8.00 pm (Summer). During the religious services, the tourist visit could be limited or suspended. Opening times can be subjected to little changes. For further information please call: Curia Arcivescovile tel. 051 6480611.