The two towers the traditional symbol of Bologna, stand at the strategic point where the old Aemilian way entered the town. Today they stand right at the middle of the opening of Porta Ravegnana square, but this does not correspond to their original layout, which comprised wooden constructions all around their base and hanging passageways.
Built at the beginning of the 13th century, the Orologio Tower (Clock Tower) is located at the intersection of Piazza Maggiore and via IV Novembre. The clock was installed on its façade in the 15th century, after the height of the tower had been increased.
Built in the twelfth century by the guelph Prendiparte family, as the last bulwark against the attacks of enemies of the Prendiparti Tower also known as Coronata Tower. It reaches a height of 60 meters, making it the second highest after Asinelli Tower. Originally it seemed to have been higher and had been pollarded or suspended for some reason.
Just behind the Piazza della Meranzia. The family erected it in the XII century. Its 27 meters high were long oppressed by a modest building which hid the view and only in 1928, thanks to an accurate restoration of the adjacent houses, has rediscovered the ancient breath.