The Town Hall was originally intended to keep the public reserves, "some grain-growing and municipal offices”. In 1336 it became the residence of the Elders, the highest judiciary of the City Government. It is currently the seat of city government.
Palazzo Re Enzo was built between 1244 a 1246 (when the Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo was also built as an extension of the Municipal buildings). The palace was also known as the 'new palace' to differentiate it from Palazzo del Podestà. Just three years later the palace became the 'residence' of the King taken prisoner in the battle of Fossalta: Re Enzo from Sardinia, son of Federico II.
The construction of the Palace was commissioned by Cardinal Borromeo between 1562 and 1563 and designed by architect Antonio Morandi called Terribilia; it was to house the lecture halls for the University (Law and Arts). Until 1803 it was the seat of the University and since 1838 it is the location of the Civic Library.
At first, the XV century building used to house the canons of the nearby Cattedrale di San Pietro. In the XVI century, the pawnshop of St. Peter was there established (the Pawnshop was a non-profit financial institution loaning limited amounts of money in exchange for pledges).
Built in 1529 by Andrea da Formigine for Panfilio Dal Monte, the building boasts a sophisticate Renaissance Bologna style with its elegant loggia, Doric columns, porticoes, plaster decorations and works of art by Gaetano Gandolfi and Serafino Barozzi.
The building was designed by Alfonso Torreggiani (XVIIth century) by will of Pope Benedict XIVth as the seat of the Archbishop's Seminary. In 1912, the building was transformed into a hotel and it is still the most prestigious hotel in the city.
Ronzani Palace was built during the first decade of the XXth century by Gualtiero Pontoni as part of some sophisticated buildings raised between the two centuries. These buildings were designed on the basis of a city plan whose main purpose was to value the importance of the Garisendi and the Asinelli Towers as symbols of Bologna.
Casa Barilli was designed by Leonida Bertolazzi between 1906-1907 and it was one of the first “shopping centres” in Bologna. It is a four-floor palace whose decorations make reference to the Vienna Secession: short arches, tall pilasters, iron railings and several windows.
The palace was planned by L.Repossi in the beginning of XXth century. Under the portico, there is a narrow space which, until recently, housed a store embellished by the design of Enrico De Angeli (brass, plexiglass, chroming) according to the aesthetic researches of the fifties.
The palace was planned by E.Collamarini in the first years of the XXth century. Contemporaneously, the Acquaderni Arcade was opened under the palace, in the same place of the ancient church of Saint Giobbe.
The most important religious building in the ghetto is Buratti House, the ancient seat of the synagogue (via dell'Inferno, 16): it was built in the mid-1800s and it was heavily restored in 1955 after being seriously damaged by the war.
The Palace that today is called Sanguinetti, from the most recent family owner's name, is the result of the difficult evolution of that zone settlements, from the Middle Ages till today, and it shows evidence of every single transformation it underwent.
The Accademia Filarmonica di Bologna was founded in 1666 by the noble Vincenzo Maria Carrati, based in his family’s palace, located at what is now Via Guerrazzi 13. “Unitate melos” has been the Academy’s motto ever since its foundation.
The Philarmonic School was first funded in 1804 whilst in 1942 it became Conservatory of music and took up the name of Giovanni Battista Martini, leading musician and composer of the 18th century and famous all over the world.
Started in 1793 by the Bologna architect Angelo Venturoli for the line of princes of the Hercolani family, it combines the baroque taste and theatrics of the last monumental grand staircase built in Bologna with the classical forms of 16th century architectural tradition.
At the beginning of via Castiglione, in the very heart of the old town, two historical palaces of the Pepoli family face each other on either side of the cobblestone. This noble family rose to fame when Taddeo took power in 1334 (contemporary to the fall of Cardinal Bertrando del Poggetto).
The Pallavicini Palace rises in Via San Felice 24, in the heart of old Bologna. The XV century palace, formerly owned by noble families of Bologna such as the Villa, Volta and Marsili Families, was bought in 1557 by the Isolani Family, that conferred special dignity to the internal architecture of the palace by exploiting the skills of architects Paolo Canali and Luigi Casali
Palazzo Belloni, also known as the Cantelli House, is located at 13 de' Gombruti Street on the corner of Barberia Street. The palazzo was built at the behest of Giovanni Angelo Belloni, the third son of the wealthy mercantile Belloni family from Codogno, who moved from Lombardy to Bologna inevitably changing the economic life of the city.
Designed by Giovanni Beroaldo on the ruins of former buildings, it has been adorned with frescoes by Rolli, Caccioli and with the great baroque staircase by Gian Giacomo Monti. The University of Bologna supervised the restoration from 2003 to the end of 2007.
It was built in around 1500 by Andrea and Giacomo Marchesi da Formgine. An old sculpture of Hercules by Giuseppe Mazza stands in the double portico courtyard with Doric columns. Several halls contain splendid tempera paintings by Antonio Rossi and Carlo Lodi.
Built at the end of the 15th century by Annibale Bentivoglio as a place of delight for his family, it was frescoed in the 16th century by Aspertini, Innocenzo da Imola and Prospero Fontana. The frieze with putti that runs around the hall is attributed to Nicolò dell’Abate.
The church's origins date to the 5th century. After Napoleon's suppression, it was deconsecrated and used for other purposes. It was restored in 1998 and turned into a lecture hall of the University. The structure of refined elegance overlooks the picturesque parvis.
The Cassa di Risparmio of Bologna commissioned the building of its prestigious headquarters to one of the protagonists of Italian Eclecticism, Giuseppe Mengoni. In less than five years the construction of the imposing building covered by variegated marble with iron and cast iron trimming was terminated.
The building of this magnificent palace opening on via D'Azeglio was commissioned between 1477 and 1482 by jurist Niccolò Sanuti and his spouse Nicolosia to an architect and workers perhaps from Tuscany or Ferrara.
The Istituzione Galleria D'Arte Moderna di Bologna (Institution of Modern Art Gallery of Bologna) has a new space to add to its other locations: MAMbo (Modern Art Gallery), Museo Morandi (Morandi Museum), Villa delle Rose (Gallery) and the Museum dedicated to Ustica; it’s the house where Morandi lived and worked most of his life.
The Carducci House building dates back to the 16th century and witnesses an over two century-old history as a cult place. It is placed in the glacis of the ancient city walls between Porta Maggiore and Porta Santo Stefano.
The Via Aemilia, the ancient road linking Rimini and Piacenza which was built in 187 BC by the consul Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, ran just underneath the current shop; a stretch of it is still visible in the basement.
In 1922 Pier Paolo Pasolini was born in Bologna, in this street, he was an Italian film director and intellectual, a symbol of the rediscovery and development of the identity of the Italian homosexual community.
The State Archives of Bologna are the heart of the historical memory of the city. Inside the 34 km of shelves is preserved the documentation produced by the public offices of Bologna, dating from the Middle Ages to the present day.
A plaque on the façade of the building recalls that here is the house where Guglielmo Marconi was born on 25th April 1874, the first man "who spoke from one hemisphere to the other without the use of cables and wires.