Also known as the "Seven churches", the Basilica of St. Stefano is the most peculiar church complex in Bologna. Its origins are still a moot point. For someone it was built in 430 divided into seven churches, in order to symbolically represent the places of Christ’s Passion. Another theory states that the Basilica was built by Saint Petronio, on the ruins of a pre-existent pagan temple.
This church is the first example of French Gothic style in Italy. It was built between 1236 and 1254 on the initiative of the Franciscan community that stayed in the city already since 1218 with Bernardo di Quintavalle.
The monumental site of Santa Maria della Vita is the most important example of Baroque architecture in Bologna. It includes the Sanctuary, which houses the famous terracotta sculptures "Compianto sul Cristo Morto" by Niccolò dell’Arca, the Oratorio dei Battuti, and the Museum of Health. Santa Maria della Vita is part of Genus Bononiae. Musei nella Città.
The Church of San Giacomo Maggiore is located in one of the most charming squares of Bologna.It was renovated at the end of the 15th century and its style is a pastiche of different forms and features: Romanesque (the façade), Gothic (the sacristy and some chapels), High Renaissance (the nave and other chapels).
Imposing architectural complex which includes the church and the adjacent former convent of the olivetans, one of the greatest and the nicest in Italy. It stands on one of the most panoramic places of the surrounding hills of Bologna and its parvis offers a wonderful view of the city and of the plane till the Alps chain.
Generally known as the "Church of the Saint" for the presence of Saint Caterina de’ Vigri’s incorrupted body, founder in 1456 of the first convent of Clarisse nuns in Bologna, is one of the most important sanctuary of the city for the people’s devotion.
The Church of Santa Maria della Pioggia was originally known as Chiesa di San Bartolomeo di Reno because during the Middle Ages the Reno canal flew next to it. The church was then named after Santa Maria della Pioggia, whose painting, still preserved inside the church, portays the Virgin Mary with the Infant Jesus surrounded by seven heads of angels.
Since the XIII century San Martino has been the cradle of the Bolognese community of the Carmelites Order. The church was built in the first half of the fourteenth century. It was provided with brick vaults in 1457 and with a new facade at the end of the XV century ( then it was reshaped in Gothic style in 1879).
The old church hosted the priests belonging to the Order of the Canons Regular of S. Maria di Reno from the 12th century. The building that can be seen today differs a lot from the original one. The original church was almost totally destroyed between 1606 and 1623 when it was replaced by a monumental building designed by father Ambrogio Mazenta and the architect Tommaso Martelli.
The S. Bartolomeo and Gaetano church was built in the remote past and in the 11th century belonged to the Benedictines of Nonantola. After having lodged a community of Cluniac monks in the '200 it was demolished in 1516 and was replaced by a more imposing building entrusted to the architect Andrea da Formigine.
The San Giovanni in Monte Complex is a 16th century monastery building that still today overlooks the bordering portion of the old town centre of Bologna from the artificial "hill". Worthy of note in the refectory is Bartolomeo Cesi's fresco.
The church was built on behalf of the Barnabites (Catholic priests belonging to the Order of the Clerics Regular of St. Paul) between 1606 and 1611 and it was designed by the architect Ambrogio Mazenta.
The church is supposed to be built on the ruins of the Roman arena where, according to many legends, S. Vitale and S. Agricola were tortured during the Diocletian Empire. Their bodies were identified by S. Ambrogio when he visited Bologna in 392.
The Church of SS Gregorio e Sirio was built in the old town centre of Bologna in 1532-1535 by Tibaldo Tibaldi and Giov. Antonio di Milano. The church was damaged by an earthquake, and the façade and the vault were rebuilt by Angelo Venturoli.
The Santa Cristina Complex, convent of the Camaldolites restored in the late 15th century, surrounds the quadrangular cloister embellished with decorations. There are remains of frescoes attributed to the school of Lorenzo Costa in the old refectory, today a lecture hall.
The Corpus Domini Parish was erected in 1975 by the Cardinal Poma. It is situated in the south east part of Bologna (Fossolo 2) and it has now completed its definitive church, designed by the architect Umberto Spagnoli.
This church has been rebuilt in 1583 on the plant of an old church. An extension was built in 1680 by G.B. Bergonzoni. Santa Maria della Carità holds many important works of art by Galanino, Valesio, Cignani, Franceschini, Quaini, Crespi, Carracci, Gandolfi, Calvi and Bezzi.
The story of the crypt is linked to the birth of the first Christian community in Bologna. All the bishops of the Bolognese diocese were inhumed here until the 8th-9th century (except San Petronio buried in the complex of Santo Stefano).
The Church is famous above all because it preserves the remains of the priest and martyr San Valentino. Its name derives from the grada (a metal grille), still visible, through which the Reno Canal entered the walls of the city and that was mainly used to prevent possible enemies to enter the city.
The Orthodox Church of Saint Basil the Great in Bologna, which is under the canonical jurisdiction of the Patriarchy of Moscow, is the most ancient Orthodox Church in Emilia Romagna, having been founded in 1973 and is situated in the former church of Saint Anne belonging to the Carthusian Fathers.
The church is located on a hill, surrounded by forest of oak, chestnut, cupressus and olive trees. Originally, it used to be a hermitage of religious nuns in the 12th century. Now, it belongs to the order of Servi di Maria that has transformed the structure into the spiritual centre.
The Church of San Martino in Casalecchio di Reno was founded during the 17th century by the Frati Martiniani. For people coming from Bologna, the church may be suddenly seen after Villa Ghillini. Not so long ago the church used to overlook the entire city of Casalecchio di Reno, from the hill where the church was raised.