The two towers are commonly recognized as symbols of Bologna and are located in the heart of the city at the point where the ancient Via Emilia (Aemilian Way) entered the city.
They were built during the Middle Ages and had a military function (signalling and defence) as well as representing, with their grandeur, the social prestige of the family that had them built.
TORRE DEGLI ASINELLI
The attraction is part of the Bologna Welcome Card PLUS and Card EASY circuits, so admittance is free for card-holders.
The Tower was built between 1109 and 1119 by the family bearing the same name and was handed over to the Municipality as early as the following century. 498 internal steps lead to the top at a height of 97.02 metres offering spectacular views of the city.
Torre Garisenda, built at the same time as the previous tower, is different due to its shorter height of 47 metres. It is known for its steep overhang due to a subsidence of the land and the foundations, so much so that Dante featured it in Canto XXXI of the Inferno. It was lowered for fear of it collapsing during the 14th century and is currently being restored.
|Full price||€ 5|
|Reduced price||€ 3|
Reduced: under 12 and over 65; school trips; university students; Card Cultura holders.
Free entry: Bologna Welcome Card PLUS and Card EASY holders; disabled people and helpers; authorized touristic guides; children under 4 years old.
Before booking please bear in mind that:
- RESERVATION: reservation is compulsory
- LATE VISITORS: no refund will be granted in the event of late arrivals. Please show up 5 minutes before the selected visiting time.
- GOOD HEALTH: the visit is by no means recommended for heart patients, asthmatics, or people suffering from vertigo and claustrophobia. NB: no lift available.
- MINORS: access is only permitted with an accompanying adult (over 18)
- ANIMALS: animals of any size are prohibited.
- LUGGAGE AND FOOTWEAR: access is forbidden with bulky bags and backpacks, high-heeled shoes, slippers or barefoot.
Read the FULL RULES
- Art & Culture