Circolo Tennis Bologna was founded in 1902 by a group of young tennis lovers, led by Giorgio Barbieri, who decided to follow the path of some other Italian Clubs. After persuading the Municipality of Bologna, these young students were given the possibility to build a little cabin and three tennis courts inside Giardini Margherita (a public park in Bologna). Despite the difficult period experienced during the Second World War when the Club was temporary turned into a parking lot for army tanks, its improvment continued until 1953, when the project grew: in addition to a tennis court able to house a large audience (more than 2.000), other six tennis courts, a new block with a big terrace and a swimming pool were raised. Many important tennis players have practiced in the Club (Flavia Pennetta, Omar Camporanese, etc) and at present it includes a club-house with a restaurant-café, offices, a gym, shops, 7 indoor tennis courts for the winter and a 25 metres swimming pool. Neverthless, the history of Circolo Tennis Bologna doesn't include sport activities only, but also social, cultural and elite events.