The National Gallery of Bologna (Pinacoteca Nazionale di Bologna) is located a few minutes from the Two Towers inside the 17th-century former Jesuit novitiate of St. Ignatius. It was opened to the public in 1885 and was entirely renovated in 1997 and is now considered among the most modern and important National Galleries.
Its collection, with its first catalogue dating back to 1827, includes artwork from some of the leading Italian artists of the Renaissance, Mannerism and Baroque periods, such as Raphael, Perugino, Tintoretto, Titian, the Carraccis, Guercino and Reni. In addition to its permanent collection, the art gallery also hosts medium and large temporary exhibitions, educational activities, seminars and conventions.
In addition, the palace is home to the Academy of Fine Arts and the Superintendence for Historic, Artistic and Ethno-Anthropological Heritage therefore combining the display, safeguarding, preservation and study of the historic and cultural heritage.