The University of Bologna Botanical Gardens are one of the oldest in Italy. They were in fact founded in 1568 on the initiative of Ulisse Aldrovandi (1522-1605). After being transferred several times, the gardens finally found their permanent home in Via Irnerio, a short distance away from Via Zamboni. The overall surface covers about two hectares where over five thousand examples of local and exotic plants are cultivated. There are three greenhouses: two of them contain tropical plants (mainly ferns, orchids, Bromeliaceae and food bearing trees), while the third hosts the collection of succulent plants. The other sectors of the Gardens include the area of the medicinal plants, the ornamental area, the woodlands and park as well as a sector dedicated to the reconstruction of natural environments. The Orto dei Semplici or Officinal Herb Garden has only recently been founded and is based on what was the first Herb Garden created by Ulisse Aldrovandi, specifically designed for the cultivation and study of medicinal plants. Curative medicines obtained directly from nature were in fact called simples, while Composites were medicines made by mixing together and treating different substances.
The description is taken from SMA. - University Museum System Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna
The Botanical Garden is part of Sistema Museale d'Ateneo Alma Mater Studiorum Università di Bologna -SMA