The Museum of St. Petronio was open in 1894 following a project by Tito Azzolini and contains very interesting collections: the drawings and the architectural projects for the façade of the Basilica of St. Petronio - by well-known architects such as Il Vignola, Domenico Tibaldi, Andrea Palladio, Francesco Terribilia, etc. - goldsmith’s art, church furnishings, illuminated graduals and antiphonaries, musical editions.
1st room - The drawings for the façade of the Church go from the oldest ones, dating back to the 16th century (Domenico da Varignana, 1518; Cristoforo lombardo; Giacomo Ranuzzi, 1545; Girolamo Rainaldi, 1626; Baldassarre Peruzzi, 1522; Giacomo Barozzi da Vignola, 1545; two projects attributed to Giulio Romano; Domenico Tibaldi, 1571; Andrea Palladio e Francesco Terribilia, 1572; Francesco Terribilia, 1580; Alberto Alberti, 1580; Palladio, three projects 1578; Mauro Tesi, 1747) to the most modern ones by Giuseppe Ceri and Edoardo Collamarini, that have been given a prize in the contest in 1887. You can also find the maps of the Basilica by Peruzzi (1522) and by Rainaldi (1626). Under the fireplace are the tools which Cassini used to build and test the sundial. Hanging on the wall are a big drawing by Peruzzi, a painting by Annibale Carracci or his school, four panels for the side doors by Properzia de Rossi and Amico Aspertini, two big drawings attributed to Giulio Romano. Another remarkable work is the marble statue of St. Procolo which Alfonso Lombardi left unfinished (1537) and the wood model of the "big St. Petronio" by Arduino Arriguzzi with great dome and four church towers.
2nd room - The walls of the rooms are covered by panels from the 17th century made with tanned and decorated leather . In this room are some vestments, reliquaries, chalices, illuminated choir books decorated by Giambattista Cavalletti around 1510 and by Martino from Modena around 1480 (some of them contain illuminations by the famous Taddeo Crivelli). Finally other noteworthy finds are the "Pace" (peace) of St. Sebastiano made in embossed and wrought silver of the late 15th century and a casket made in ebony inlaid with bone and ivory by the Venetian Embriachi studio. On the first floor is the vestry board, with decorations painted by Felini and Quaini in the 17th century. In the main room is the archive of the Celebre Cappella Musicale (musical chapel) of St. Petronio, with works and handwritten printings from the centuries 16th to 19th. On the second floor is the historical archive of the vestry board. Here are also two tablets by Simone dei Crocefissi, fragments of frescoes and a map of the Basilica attributed to Arduino Arriguzzi.