The famous still life and Grizzana landscapes painter was born in Bologna in 1890 and here is dead in 1964. Museo Morandi is the widest and most significant public collection dedicated to Giorgio Morandi, temporarily moved to the MAMbo- Museo d'Arte Moderna di Bologna (Bologna Modern Art Museum). The transfer is due to works of restoration of the damages, at the original structure of Palazzo d'Accursio, occured during the earthquake of May 2012. It has been open thanks to a considerable donation by the artist's sister Maria Teresa Morandi, together with an important group of works already part of the heritage of the Galleria d'Arte Moderna di Bologna. It is also interesting to visit Casa Morandi, where the artist has lived and worked from 1910 to 1964 in via Fondazza 36, in Bologna. The vases, bottles, shells and study models have found their place in the studio and in the closet, reconstructed to appear as they were at the time of the artist.
Giorgio Morandi (Bologna 1890 – 1964) graduated at the Accademia di Belle Arti (Fine Arts Academy) of Bologna in 1913, his formation was based on the study of Giotto, Piero della Francesca, Chardin, Corot and Cézanne. Since the beginning Morandi prefers as subjects of his works landscapes, still lives and flowers that will represent the essential themes of his whole work.
Even if he rarely goes far away from Bologna and Grizzana, the village on the Appennines where he’s used to spend every summer, his fame begins to grow and to go beyond the walls of the city thanks to sharp and smart critics and to a selected group of art lovers and collectors. The international success arrives in 1948 with the First Prize for Painting at Venice Biennale, followed by two first prices at Biennale in Sao Paolo, Brazil in 1953 and 1957, for etching and painting respectively and the Rubens Prize awarded by the city of Siegen in 1962.
He is buried in Certosa – the cemetery of Bologna (Campo Carducci - Wall along the canal), in a monument designed by Leo Pancaldi and adorned with the portrait painted by Giacomo Manzù.