The San Giovanni in Monte Complex is a 16th century monastery building that still today overlooks the bordering portion of the old town centre of Bologna from the artificial "hill". Worthy of note in the refectory is Bartolomeo Cesi's fresco.
The church was built on behalf of the Barnabites (Catholic priests belonging to the Order of the Clerics Regular of St. Paul) between 1606 and 1611 and it was designed by the architect Ambrogio Mazenta.
The church is supposed to be built on the ruins of the Roman arena where, according to many legends, S. Vitale and S. Agricola were tortured during the Diocletian Empire. Their bodies were identified by S. Ambrogio when he visited Bologna in 392.
The Church of SS Gregorio e Sirio was built in the old town centre of Bologna in 1532-1535 by Tibaldo Tibaldi and Giov. Antonio di Milano. The church was damaged by an earthquake, and the façade and the vault were rebuilt by Angelo Venturoli.