Welcome is Bologna

Architecture and Monuments

Religious places

Corpus Domini or Chiesa della Santa

Corpus Domini or Chiesa della Santa

Generally known as the "Church of the Saint" for the presence of Saint Caterina de’ Vigri’s incorrupted body, founder in 1456 of the first convent of Clarisse nuns in Bologna, is one of the most important sanctuary of the city for the people’s devotion.

Chiesa di Santa Maria della Pioggia

Chiesa di Santa Maria della Pioggia

The Church of Santa Maria della Pioggia was originally known as Chiesa di San Bartolomeo di Reno because during the Middle Ages the Reno canal flew next to it. The church was then named after Santa Maria della Pioggia, whose painting, still preserved inside the church, portays the Virgin Mary with the Infant Jesus surrounded by seven heads of angels.

Chiesa di San Martino

Chiesa di San Martino

Since the XIII century San Martino has been the cradle of the Bolognese community of the Carmelites Order. The church was built in the first half of the fourteenth century. It was provided with brick vaults in 1457 and with a new facade at the end of the XV century ( then it was reshaped in Gothic style in 1879).

Chiesa di SS. Salvatore

Chiesa di SS. Salvatore

The old church hosted the priests belonging to the Order of the Canons Regular of S. Maria di Reno from the 12th century. The building that can be seen today differs a lot from the original one. The original church was almost totally destroyed between 1606 and 1623 when it was replaced by a monumental building designed by father Ambrogio Mazenta and the architect Tommaso Martelli.

Chiesa dei Santi Bartolomeo e Gaetano

Chiesa dei Santi Bartolomeo e Gaetano

The S. Bartolomeo and Gaetano church was built in the remote past and in the 11th century belonged to the Benedictines of Nonantola. After having lodged a community of Cluniac monks in the '200 it was demolished in 1516 and was replaced by a more imposing building entrusted to the architect Andrea da Formigine.