Welcome is Bologna

Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande

Via Castiglione, 7 - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Phone +39 051 229858

Reference maps: D-4


Date of last update: 21/10/2019, 14:44

At the start of the very central Castiglione, there are two historic buildings owned by the Pepoli family, who made the news with the ascent to power of Taddeo in 1334 (coinciding with the fall of card. Bertrand du Pouget). His rule coincided with a period of economic prosperity and peace, even though his heirs gave up the city to the Milan Viscounts for 200,000 golden florins. In the 15th century, the Pepolis allied with the new rulers of the city, the Bentivoglios, and covered significant roles.

The Pepoli Vecchio building comprises numbers 6 to 10 and features various sections built in different eras. The restoration supervised by A. Rubbiani reinstated its Medieval layout.

Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande

When Count Odoardo Pepoli was appointed as Senator in 1653, he started building a new family residence right in front of the Medieval palace. It was probably designed by G. B. Albertoni, while the façade overlooking via Clavature was completed in 1709 by Antonio Torri. All decorations had the purpose of celebrating the triumph of the family and were created by the main protagonists of the Bologna decorating world during the second half of the 17th century. On the right hand-side of the inner courtyard, there is a square-shaped grand staircase adorned with stucco oval frames depicting historic family episodes created by D. Maria Canuti (1665). In the main hall, Canuti frescoed the ceiling with the ‘Apoteosi di Ercole nell’Olimpo’, with paintings by D. Santi also knows as il Mengazzino in the background. The apartment is made up of other halls decorated with prestigious paintings: in the Eighties, brothers Giuseppe and Antonio Rolli depicted the ‘Allegoria di Felsina’ while, towards the end of the century, Giuseppe Maria Crespi painted the ‘Trionfo di Ercole (le Stagioni)' and ‘L’Olimpo’ in the next two rooms commissioned by Count Ercole. Finally, Donato Creti was the author of a view depicting ‘Alessandro che taglia il nodo ordiano’ commissioned by Count Alessandro. Nowadays, this magnificent apartment displays a selection of the Zambeccari paintings with works from eminent representatives of the Emilian painting world (Ludovico Carracci, il Guercino, Albani, Crespi...).

by bus: lines and timetables on the website www.tper.it

by car: located in restricted traffic zone ZTL. Ring road exits n. 11/11bis-12 direction city center.


Tickets can be purchased in one of the two museums, is valid for the second museum on same or different day. 

Full € 6.00; 
reduced € 2.00 for visitors aged 18 to 25 (only for European Community citizens), full-time teachers;

€ 1.00 on occasion of Saturday May 18th, European Night of Museums from 8pm-11pm.

Free admission for Musei Metropolitani Card owners , minors under 18 years (only for European Community citizens) and Bologna Welcome Card owners.

Free entry in the following dates:
first Sunday of the month from October to March
Week fof Museums March 5th - March 10th 2019
August 13-14-15 
October 4th
Dicember 26-27-28-29

There are no reductions for groups and the groups can enter max 30 persons.

No reservations nor pre-sale of tickets.

To have your free or reduced ticket please present proof of your specific category at the ticket desk. 

September to June: from Tuesday to Sunday 8:30am - 7:30pm
Closed: Monday
July and August: visit the website

*the ticket office closes half an hour before closing.

Special openings on occasion of Saturday May 18th, European Night of Museums: 8pm-11pm