Palazzo Isolani was built between 1451-55 by Pagno di Lapo Portigiani da Fiesole in a style marking the transition between Gothic and Tuscan Renaissance. The façade is arranged on two orders separated by a string-course. The arcade with basket arches supported by Corinthian capitals is surmounted by a sequence of ogee one-light windows. The characteristic faces of six figures enclosed by circular medallions visually recall the near-by palace of the Bolognini family, who in fact had also acquired the Isolani building. Quite oddly, the portraits don 19th-century head-dresses, apparently the result of a later ‘retouch’.
The evocative gallery (Corte Isolani), opened to passers-by and linking a series of inner courtyards with the Casa Isolani on Strada Maggiore and Palazzo Isolani on piazza S. Stefano.