It was an aristocratic residence and then a monastery until 1871. In 1879, then owned by the Municipality, the building was radically restored. The tower was lowered and embellished by merlons, while the whole building was harmonized with the tower and adjusted according to the contemporary neo-gothic style, preserving just a few original details, like the windows frames and some decorations.
In the interior the architect Alfonso Rubbiani designed the Council Hall, including decorations, wrought iron railings, painted glass windows and wooden furniture realized by expert artisans in Bolognese liberty style. In the same period was built the beautiful staircase that leads to the first floor.
Close to the doorway the ancient clockwork of the Tower Clock is displayed.