booking@bolognawelcome.it

www.bolognawelcome.it

Bologna Welcome Piazza Maggiore
Piazza Maggiore 1E
phone +39.051.6583111

Bologna Welcome Aeroporto
Via del Triumvirato 84
phone +39.051.6472201

Certosa di Bologna - Historic Monumental Cemetery

Etruscan necropolis, Carthusian monastery, cemetery: more than two thousand years of history and art tell the story of the city.

Photo Bisteghi by Mauro Daviddi

Certosa di Bologna - Monumental cemetery

The cemetery was established in 1801 using the former buildings of the Carthusian monastery, which was built starting from 1334 and closed by Napoleon in 1796. The Chiesa di S. Girolamo testifies to the lost wealth of the monastery. At the Archaeological Museum it is possible to admire a large portion of grave goods from Etruscan tombs, discovered between 1869 and 1873, including the famous Situla della Certosa vase, a masterpiece from the VI century BC. Several historically important local and national figures have been laid to rest in the cemetery; they include statesman Marco Minghetti; artists Giorgio Morandi and Bruno Saetti; winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature Giosue Carducci and writer Riccardo Bacchelli; opera singer Carlo Broschi, known as Farinelli, composer Ottorino Respighi and singer Lucio Dalla  as well as the founders of the companies Maserati and Ducati, and the publishing house Zanichelli.

Reference: Storia e Memoria di Bologna LA CERTOSA

address: Via della Certosa, 18 - 40133 Bologna (BO) rif map iat: M-8 ph: +39 051 6150811/12/13/14 fax: +39 051 6150829 website: www.certosadibologna.it opening hours: summer: (from 1/3 to 2/11) from 7.00am to 6.00pm winter: (from 3/11 to 28/02) from 8.00am to 5.00pm
The nineteenth century nucleus: from Napoleon to the Unity of Italy
The Twentieth Century
Cemeteries within the cemetery
The collective monuments