The cemetery was established in 1801 using the former buildings of the Carthusian monastery, which was built starting from 1334 and closed by Napoleon in 1796. The Chiesa di S. Girolamo testifies to the lost wealth of the monastery. At the Archaeological Museum it is possible to admire a large portion of grave goods from Etruscan tombs, discovered between 1869 and 1873, including the famous Situla della Certosa vase, a masterpiece from the VI century BC. Several historically important local and national figures have been laid to rest in the cemetery; they include statesman Marco Minghetti; artists Giorgio Morandi and Bruno Saetti; winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature Giosue Carducci and writer Riccardo Bacchelli; opera singer Carlo Broschi, known as Farinelli, composer Ottorino Respighi and singer Lucio Dalla as well as the founders of the companies Maserati and Ducati, and the publishing house Zanichelli.
Reference: Storia e Memoria di Bologna LA CERTOSA