Piazza Maggiore is located at the very centre of Bologna. In the past the square underwent many changes and was further enriched with important buildings: Basilica di San Petronio, Palazzo dei Notai, Palazzo d'Accursio, Palazzo del Podestà and Palazzo dei Bianchi.
Torre Agresti is located in Piazza Galileo, among modern buildings. Piazza Galileo was built after the demolition of some nearby buildings between the 20s and 30s and it was enlarged after the bombings of WWII that considerbly destroyed this area of the city.
Torre Lapi (the Lapi Tower) is part of the Municipal building and it doesn't seem to be a gentle tower. Some scholars suppose it is part of the ruins of Porta Nova, one of the ancient walls that surrounded the city during the High Middle Ages.
An archway on one side of Piazza Galvani in the Corte de' Galluzzi, a well-representative complex of what was an area consortium.
Torre Galluzzi is located in Piazza Galvani and it is part of the so-called triad of the medieval skyscrapers of Bologna, along with Torre Prendiparte and Torre Azzoguidi, standing in another area of the city centre.
Piazza Galvani is located behind Basilica di San Petronio and in front of the portico leading to Palazzo dell'Archiginnasio (originally built to host the University, once located in many different buildings). At the centre of the square there is a marble statue by Adalberto Cencetti representing Luigi Galvani, a famous bolognese scholar mainly known for his research about bioelectricity, while observing the famous frog he used to study.
The construction of the Palace was commissioned by Cardinal Borromeo between 1562 and 1563 following the project by architect Antonio Morandi called Terribilia; it was to house the lecture halls for the University Study (Law and Arts). Up to 1803 it was the seat of the University and since 1838 it has been housing the Civic Library.
Torre Carrari is characterized by a thin and basic structure. It is 22 metres high, and it may be considered as a Tower House, built by the Carrari family between the 12th and the 13th century.
Seat of the Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Agriculture and Crafts, Palazzo della Mercanzia has governed trading and business activities of Bologna since the late 14th century.
Palazzo della Mercanzia is located in the area where the old city customs used to be. On its left, the ancient palaces with wooden porticoes may be found (they recall the medieval aspect of Bologna) and from there, Alberici Tower may be seen. The Alberici family built the tower in the 13th century.
Piazza di Porta Ravegnana (originally known as Porta Ravennate) is the place where “le due torri”, (the two towers, symbols of Bologna) and the statue of San Petronio (the patron Saint of the city) may be found.
The two towers Garisenda and Asinelli are the traditional symbol of Bologna, strategically standing where the old Aemilian way entered the town. In the late 12th century, at least one hundred towers dotted the town's skyline, but today only twenty have survived the ravages of fire, warfare and lightning.
In order to have the most striking view of the tower, we suggest taking via San Simone from via Oberdan and turning into vicolo Mandria on your right.
Not far from Torre Prendiparte, there is Torre Guidozagni, located in Sant'Alò square. If you pass it and then turn back, the peculiar perspective recalls the towers Asinelli and Garisenda.
The Prendiparte Tower, also known as Coronata Tower, was built in the 12th century by the guelph Prendiparte family as a means of defence. It is 60 meters high, thus being the second one in terms of height after the Asinelli Tower.
Azzoguidi Tower (also known as Altabella Tower) is located in Via Altabella (the street was given this name because of the presence of the tower). It is 61 metres high and it's prossible it was even higher in the past (its façade seems to have been designed to counterbalance the height of the building).
Piazza del Nettuno was given this name because it was built to give prominence to Statua del Nettuno, the statue that may be seen at its centre.
Vault under the Palazzo del Podestà. It originally housed the city market and the benches of the notaries; later on, blasphemers were set on the pillory and hangings were performed under its arches.
In order to see Torre Lambertini, we suggest you to look at Palazzo Re Enzo or Palazzo del Podestà from Via Rizzoli, near Via Caduti di Cefalonia.
It is a tower house, bought in 1294 from the Municipality of Bologna which wanted to enlarge its area, formed by palatium vetus (Palazzo del Podestà) and palatium novum (Palazzo Re Enzo).
Torre dell'Arengo is located over Palazzo del Podestà. This area has always been a central point for the city trade, as here there used to be a lot of sellers, clients, beggars and even cheaters.
Accursi Tower, also known as the Clock Tower, is located in Piazza Maggiore. On the façade of the building, a huge mechanical clock was added in 1444. Its initial aim was to mark daytime, mainly midday, but since 1451 it has also marked nighttime.