Dated back to the Fourteenth century, it was rebuilt after the bombing raids which struck the town during World War Two. The centuries-old seat of the Mountain Captains has its façade adorned by the stained glass windows by Luigi Ontani
An evocative medieval village where the origibnal buildings are still intact.
This is the only example in Italy of work by the celebrated Finnish architect Alvar Aalto
Monte delle Formiche is about 30 km south of Bologna and is the highest peak within the Pianoro municipal territory. Its name derives from a particular phenomenon: every year, swarms of male winged ants migrate to this summit to complete their nuptial flight.
Inside an ancient building, completely restored in raw land, by touching THE LANDS, in only 10 meters you can go through 80 million years of Earth's history.
The “Zena Castle” is located at the foot of the Monte delle Formiche on a sandstone upward and surrounded by an oak forest. The oldest evidence talks about “Genae Castrum”, around which soon a village formed.
A Romanesque period church with a sober local sandstone facade, cup-shaped ashlars. Inside there is a polychrome statue of the Madonna di Montovolo (15th-16th century) and a crypt
Most of the exhibits on display in the Luigi Fantini archaeological museum come from the Etruscan- Celtic settlement discovered in nearby Monte Bibele.
When the weather is good, the view from Mount Venere stretches from the Dalmatian coast across the Alps all the way to Mont Blanc.
Created in 1988, it embraces an area boasting spectacular gypsum outcrops and countless karst features like the characteristic “calanchi” (badlands) of Passo dell’Abbadessa.
Main residence of the Marconi family since mid-nineteenth century. It was precisely in Villa Griffone that Guglielmo Marconi set up his first workshop and completed his first experiments in wireless telegraphy (1895), as reported also on a plaque on the façade of the villa.
A small burg located on the Ozzano hills that keep trace of its medieval past.
Dating back to the Twelfth Century, it stands north of Marzabotto, and it is considered one of the most beautiful Roman-style churches in the Bolognese Apennines. Also worth noting is the preciously decorated aps
Entirely built in opus quadratum, it is a perfect example of the master stonemasons’ artisanship.
Located near Cereglio, in the suggestive hamlet of Pieve di Roffeno, it is one of the most famous and ancient churches in the Bologna diocese. It holds a Lombard-style font dating back to the 7th Century
A monument depicting a whale of 9 meters, found in “Val di Zena” and dating from the Pliocene. The nearly complete fossil remains are kept at the “Giovanni Capellini” Geological Museum of Bologna.
Located in the crypt of the local church, it holds the remains of civilians and partisans murdered at the hands of nazi and fascist troops in the area of the Marzabotto municipality
Located in the historic village of Ca' Melati, it is a fine example of medieval, higher-echelon mountain architecture, transformed into a Palazzo by the Comelli family of notaries
A protected area since 1989, it covers a surface of about 6,300 hectares, enclosing much of the area struck by the 1944 massacres. Rich in floral and animal species
The castle Rocchetta Mattei (literally "small fortress Mattei") is situated in the mountan chain of the Apennines between Tuscany and Emilia Romagna. It is 45 km away from Bologna, on the SS.64 (road) that links Bologna to Porretta Terme, just after the town of Riola, in the municipality of Grizzana Morandi.It was built by the Count Cesare Mattei (1809-1896) on the remains of an ancient medieval castle that belonged to Matilde di Canossa (a.k.a. Matilda of Tuscany).
Marzabotto is one of the most important Etruscan centres in Emilia-Romagna.
Powered by the Limentra River, it includes several buildings that show what rural life was like centuries ago.
The Labante caves are considered the most significant example of travertine caves in Italy, and perhaps in all of Europe
It is the highest summit of the "Parco del Contrafforte Pliocenico" (Park of Pliocene Buttress)
Here the first strecth of Roman road was found by Cesare Agostini and Franco Santi after decades of serch.
A large plain that likely takes its name from a decisive battle between Ligurians and Romans.