Welcome is Bologna

Gardens and historical parks

Giardini Margherita

Giardini Margherita

It is the largest and certainly the most popular city park. It was designed by the Piedmontese Sambuy  to provide Bologna with an ample green and public place as in other Italian and European cities. It was opened in 1879 with the name of “Passeggio Regina Margherita” ( as a tribute to the wife of King Umberto I).

Giardini di via Filippo Re

Giardini di via Filippo Re

The garden in Via Filippo Re is in front of Palazzina della Viola in the very center of the University area and not far from via San Donato.

Giardino del Guasto

Giardino del Guasto

This garden has been created in 1974 by Gennaro Filippini. It once belonged to the Bentivoglio family that ruled Bologna until 1506.

Stefano Casagrande Gardens

Stefano Casagrande Gardens

A garden, located within the medieval walls and inaugurated in 2012, that is dedicated to one of the most famous artists and activists of the gay movement of Bologna, Stefano Casagrande, one of the founders of Cassero

Giardino Ferruccio Busoni di Villa Mazzacorati

Giardino Ferruccio Busoni di Villa Mazzacorati

The garden surrounds a historical monumental villa, old country residence inhabited by the Bologna's noble families Marescotti, Aldrovandi and Mazzacorati from the beginning of 16th until the last century. The neoclassic appearance of the villa is the result of transformations in the second half of 18th century.

Parco di Villa Spada

Parco di Villa Spada

The park has an extension of about 6 hectars on the mountain ridge situated between the river Meloncello and the valley Ravone. Groups of trees and lawns alternate on the hillside of the Casaglia Hill that descends to Saragozza street.

Entrance: crossing of Via di Casaglia and Via Saragozza

Parco di San Pellegrino

Parco di San Pellegrino

The park is situated in a nice panoramic position on the mountain ridge between the valleys of Meloncello and Ravone and it descends from the Monte Albano towards the Villa Spada. There is a nice view to San Luca.

Giardino di Villa delle Rose

Giardino di Villa delle Rose

At the entrance of the garden a magnificent staircase, composed of several flights, and a winding plane tree-lined avenue, lead to the villa going through the gentle slope. Built in the eighteenth century as the summer residence for the Cella family, the villa includes an elegant balcony boasting the panoramic view.

Parco dei Calanchi di Sabbiuno

Parco dei Calanchi di Sabbiuno

The Park is located in the farthest end of the city area, on the borderline of the town of Sasso Marconi. It stretches to both sides of the ridge between the Reno and Savena rivers, across the route of Sabbiuno (on the tracks of an ancient road that leads to Tuscany).

Parco di Monte Paderno

Parco di Monte Paderno

The Park stretches to the peak of Paderno Mountain (359 mt.), one of the most popular elevation in the hills surrounding the city.

Parco del Paleotto

Parco del Paleotto

The Park extends on the link side of the valley of Savena river and stretches on the riverbank for a short distance   The Park was named after the Bolognese dynasty of  Paleotti who managed the lands along the hills up to the church of Jola for a long time.

Parco Luigi Fantini

Parco Luigi Fantini

The park is dedicated to Luigi Fantini, the pioneer explorer of the Chalks of Bologna and founder of the Bologna Speleological Group.