Welcome is Bologna

Fountains, bridges, canals

Fontana del Nettuno

Fontana del Nettuno

Fontana del Nettuno (Fountain of Neptune) was built between 1563 and 1566 by the Flemish sculptor Giambologna.

Fontana Vecchia

Fontana Vecchia

Leaned against the imposing façade of the Palazzo d’Accursio (Town Hall), the fountain was designed by the architect Tommaso Laureti from Palermo, the same architect of the Fontana di Nettuno - Fountain of Neptune (sixteenth century) built by the Flemish sculptor Giambologna.

Canale delle Moline

Canale delle Moline

It is the extension of canale di Reno. Few meters after the walls of Trecento, it joins Torrente Aposa that flows under the city.

Canale Navile

Canale Navile

Origins of the Canale Navile are not clear. It is probable that there were some streams (or their parts) in the marchland used for navigation already during the Roman period. For about 700 years, this Navigation Canal was the main way to get to all ports of the Adriatic sea.

Torrente Aposa

Torrente Aposa

It is the only natural river in Bologna. It originates in the hills and empties into canale Navile. Torrente Aposa is 7500 meters long.

Ponte della Bionda

Ponte della Bionda

Ponte Nuovo or Ponte della Bionda is a very old bridge over the Canale Navile. It was built at the end of the 17th century for horses who were pulling boats against the stream coming from the lower plain, sometimes even from the Adriatic sea towards the city.

Ponte di Corticella

Ponte di Corticella

The bridge over the Navile Canal in Corticella is already mentioned in documents of the XIII century and the date of construction dates back to 1289.

Ponte della Certosa

Ponte della Certosa

It is visible travelling on the cycling track that runs along the Monumental Cemetery or from via della Certosa.