This bell tower has been completed in 1694. It is 52 meters high and the cusp was added 50 years later. In 1748 the architect Giacomo Lanfranchi rebuilt the spire in order to harmonize it with the rest of the building.
The two towers Garisenda and Asinelli are the traditional symbol of Bologna, strategically standing where the old Aemilian way entered the town. In the late 12th century, at least one hundred towers dotted the town's skyline, but today only twenty have survived the ravages of fire, warfare and lightning.
(Torre Accursi) Accursi Tower, also known as the Clock Tower, is located in Piazza Maggiore. On the façade of the building, a huge mechanical clock was added in 1444. Its initial aim was to mark daytime, mainly midday, but since 1451 it has also marked nighttime.
Torre Prendiparte (Prendiparte Tower), also known as Coronata Tower, was built in the 12th century by the guelph Prendiparte family as a means of defence. It is 60 meters high, thus being the second one in terms of height after the Asinelli Tower.
Torre Galluzzi is located in Piazza Galvani and it is part of the so-called triad of the medieval skyscrapers of Bologna, along with Torre Prendiparte and Torre Azzoguidi, standing in another area of the city centre.
Torre Azzoguidi - Azzoguidi Tower (also known as Altabella Tower) is located in Via Altabella (the street was given this name because of the presence of the tower). It is 61 metres high and it's prossible it was even higher in the past (its façade seems to have been designed to counterbalance the height of the building).
Torre Agresti is located in Piazza Galileo, among modern buildings. Piazza Galileo was built after the demolition of some nearby buildings between the 20s and 30s and it was enlarged after the bombings of WWII that considerbly destroyed this area of the city.
Palazzo della Mercanzia is located in the area where the old city customs used to be. On its left, the ancient palaces with wooden porticoes may be found (they recall the medieval aspect of Bologna) and from there, Torre Alberici (Alberici Tower) may be seen. The Alberici family built the tower in the 13th century.
In order to see Torre Lambertini, we suggest you to look at Palazzo Re Enzo or Palazzo del Podestà from Via Rizzoli, near Via Caduti di Cefalonia. It is a tower house, bought in 1294 from the Municipality of Bologna which wanted to enlarge its area, formed by palatium vetus (Palazzo del Podestà) and palatium novum (Palazzo Re Enzo).
Torre Lapi (the Lapi Tower) is part of the Municipal building and it doesn't seem to be a gentle tower. Some scholars suppose it is part of the ruins of Porta Nova, one of the ancient walls that surrounded the city during the High Middle Ages.