Welcome is Bologna

Industrial archaeology

Furnaces, mills and workshops. What grabs your eye when you see these buildings scattered around the city? What crafts and products do they bring to mind - bread, mechanical products, other? Bologna's beauty also lies in the economic and productive history found in these buildings. They still speak to us due to both their architecture and their reuse as urban spaces for hosting activities and events.

Conserva di Valverde

Conserva di Valverde

Bagni di Mario was the name mistakenly given to the Valverde Conserva, a Renaissance Cave designed to feed the Neptune Fountain.

Sostegno di Corticella

Sostegno di Corticella

The first port of Bologna arose from the present Sostegno di Corticella. It was built by Vignola with the elliptical-shaped navigation basin in 1548 and maintains the manoeuvring of the Riva Calzoni.

 Sostegno della Bova

Sostegno della Bova

Just outside porta Lame - in the present via Bovi Campeggi - there is the "Sostegno della Bova". It was constructed in 1594 designed by Floriano Ambrosini in place of the old port of Maccagnano, opened in 1284 to bring ships from Corticella up to Bologna.

Sostegno del Grassi

Sostegno del Grassi

It was built by Petro Brambilla da Gorgonzola at the end of the 15th century. The lock was rebuilt by Vignola fifty years later. The lock for navigation and the operating house are conserved.

Sostegno del Landi

Sostegno del Landi

So called also “Sostegnazzo”. Originally from 1560. The lock, still conserved is hexagonal.

Sostegno del Torreggiani

Sostegno del Torreggiani

The Sostegno (Lock) Torreggiani was built around 1560. The complex is composed of the operating house, the lock for boats and some residential buildings.

Chiusa di Casalecchio di Reno

Chiusa di Casalecchio di Reno

The Chiusa di Casalecchio is the oldest hydraulic work in Europe still working – in continuous and uninterrupted function. It stands almost in the middle of the Reno river course: 83 km from its source and 128 km from Torre di Primaro where the river flows into the Adriatic sea after having crossed plains of Bologna, Ferrara and Ravenna.

Casa del ghiaccio

Casa del ghiaccio

The Paraporto Scaletta, better known as the "Ice House", is placed at the beginning of a section of the suspended canal regulated by two other spillways (called Verrocchio and San Luca).

Cineteca di Bologna - Ex Manifattura Tabacchi

Cineteca di Bologna - Ex Manifattura Tabacchi

Cineteca di Bologna is located in the ex-Manifattura Tabacchi. Most of the activities offered by the Cineteca take place in Piazzetta Pier Paolo Pasolini, the area where the municipal slaughterhouse used to be, thus creating a kind of audiovisual “cittadella” (a little city).

Manifattura delle Arti

Manifattura delle Arti

Manifattura delle Arti (Arts Factory) covers an area of 100,000 square m. It was the city's port between the Renaissance and the 19th century, and with its canals, it was also the mercantile and manufacturing heart of Bologna's economy until the end of the 17th century.

Salara

Salara

This building, known as Salara (the word “Salara” refers to the salt stored in the building in ancient times) was built at the end of the XVIII century and was originally used as a salt warehouse.

Ex Filanda - Casa della Pace

Ex Filanda - Casa della Pace

In 1851 a group of nobles and rich bourgeois from Bologna, including the Minister Marco Minghetti and the Count Zucchini, decided to establish a large modern factory for the processing of hemp in Casalecchio di Reno, in the locality of Canonica, incorporating existing buildings that were once paper factories, oil refineries, etc.

Cati Mill

Cati Mill

Powered by the Limentra River, it includes several buildings that show what rural life was like centuries ago