The Town Hall consists of a set of buildings, that over the centuries have gradually been joined to the oldest acquired by the city at the end of the thirteenth century. Including among other things, Accursio’s home, teacher of law, at the University of Bologna. It was originally intended to keep the public reserve, "some grain-growing and municipal offices”. In 1336 it became the residence of the Elders, the highest judiciary of the City Government and is the seat of city government.
Also called 'new palace' to differentiate it from the Podestà palace, King Enzo Palace was built between 1244-46 (at the same time than the palace of Podestà, or people's captain) as an extension of Municipal buildings. Just three years later it became the 'residence' of the King taken prisoner in the battle of Fossalta: King Enzo of Sardinia, son of Frederick II.
The building of the Palace was commissioned by Cardinal Borromeo between 1562 and 1563 following the project by architect Antonio Morandi called Terribilia; it was to house the lecture halls for the University Study (Law and Arts). Up to 1803 it was the seat of the University and since 1838 it has housed the Civic Library.
Palazzo Fava, located in Via Manzoni, in the heart of the ancient city, took form in the Middle Ages. Thanks to the will of the Fava family who came into possession in 1546.
Originally, the XVth century building housed the canons of the nearby Cathedral of St. Peter. In the XVIth century, the pawnshop of St. Peter was here established (the Pawnshop was a non-profit financial institution which loaned limited amounts of money in exchange for a pledge). In the XVIIIth century, the palace was restored by the Roman architect Marco Antonio Bianchini in collaboration with Alfonso Torreggiani when other city pawnshops were added.
The building was designed by Alfonso Torreggiani (XVIIth century) by will of Pope Benedict XIVth as the seat of the Archbishop's Seminary. In 1912, the building was transformed into a hotel and it is still the most prestigious hotel in the city.
Built in the early years of the XXth century by G.Pontoni and E.Lambertini as a sign of the modern Bologna (as a matter of fact, it was called “modernissimo” that is to say very modern), the palace is on the corner of the Pavaglione portico (XVIth century). At present, the ground floor hosts a refined jewelry entered in the register of historical shops. The outdoor furniture of the Art Nouveau shop windows was designed by Paolo Sironi.
Planned by L.Bertolazzi in the beginning of XXth century, the construction was one of the first department stores and one of the few buildings in Art Nouveau style in the city. The façade of the palace recalls the sezession patterns. At present, the building hosts a store of a famous American computery company.
The palace was planned by L.Repossi in the beginning of XXth century. Under the portico, there is a narrow space which, until recently, housed a store embellished by the design of Enrico De Angeli (brass, plexiglass, chroming) according to the aesthetic researches of the fifties.
The palace was planned by E.Collamarini in the first years of the XXth century. Contemporaneously, the Acquaderni Arcade was opened under the palace, in the same place of the ancient church of Saint Giobbe.
The Palace that today is called Sanguinetti, from the most recent family owner's name, is the result of the difficult evolution of that zone settlements, from the Middle Ages till today, and it shows evidence of every single transformation it underwent.
The Accademia Filarmonica di Bologna was founded in 1666 by the noble Vincenzo Maria Carrati, based in his family’s palace, located at what is now Via Guerrazzi 13. “Unitate melos” has been the Academy’s motto ever since its foundation.
At the start of via Castiglione in the very heart of town two historical palaces of the Pepoli family face each other across the street. The noble family rose to local fame with the taking of power by Taddeo in 1334 (contemporary to the fall of Cardinal Bertrando del Poggetto).
Heart of Genus Bononiae, Palazzo Pepoli. Museo della Storia di Bologna houses a museum dedicated to the history, culture and transformations of Bologna, from the ‘Felsina etrusca’ to modern times.
The palace, designed in the mid 16th century probably by Pellegrino Tibaldi with the contribution of Bartolomeo Triachini, who is attributed in particular the inner courtyard, became the new seat of the National University, after the reform of Napoleon's period (1803).
The Cassa di Risparmio of Bologna commissioned the building of its prestigious headquarters to one of the protagonists of Italian Eclecticism, Giuseppe Mengoni, well known for the construction in the same year (1868) of the Vittorio Emanuele Gallery in Milan. In less than five years the construction of the imposing building covered by variegated marble with iron and cast iron trimming was terminated and it stood on today's via Farini.
The building of this magnificent palace opening on via D'Azeglio was commissioned between 1477 and 1482 by jurist Niccolò Sanuti and his spouse Nicolosia to an architect and workers perhaps from Tuscany or Ferrara. Its many stylistic choices, such as the lack of arcades and the use of smooth-angled ashlar similar to the Diamonds' Palace by Biagio Rossetti in Ferrara are not typically Bolognese.
Besides MAMbo (Modern Art Gallery), Museo Morandi (Morandi Museum), Villa delle Rose (Gallery) and the Museum dedicated to Ustica, the Istituzione Galleria D'Arte Moderna di Bologna (Institution of Modern Art Gallery of Bologna) has got a new space: the house where Morandi lived and worked almost all his life.