Traditional place of worship for the presence of an image the Virgin of St. Luca as well as reassuring visual landmark for Bolognese approaching town, the shrine located on top of Guardia hill is one of Bologna's symbol. An arcade with more than 600 vaults connects the shrine to the town and is unique for its length covering almost four kilometres (3,796 m).
The monumental site of Santa Maria della Vita is the most important example of Baroque architecture in Bologna. It includes the Sanctuary, which houses the famous terracotta sculptures "Compianto sul Cristo Morto" by Niccolò dell’Arca, the Oratorio dei Battuti, and the Museum of Health. Santa Maria della Vita is part of the the cultural, artistic and museum itinerary Genus Bononiae. Musei nella Città.
Placed in one of the most attractive squares of Bologna, it was built between 1267 and 1315 by the hermit Augustine Fathers and it was restored at the end of the fifteenth century. The inside part, which is composed of a wide and bright nave, hosts famous art treasures, among them the Bentivoglio Chapel, one of the most remarkable creations of the first period of the Bolognese Renaissance, which is embellished with wonderful paintings.
Imposing architectural complex which includes the church and the adjacent former convent of the olivetans, one of the greatest and the nicest in Italy. It stands on one of the most panoramic places of the surrounding hills of Bologna and its parvis offers a wonderful view of the city and of the plane till the Alps chain.
Generally known as the "Church of the Saint" for the presence of Saint Caterina de’ Vigri’s incorrupted body, founder in 1456 of the first convent of Clarisse nuns in Bologna, is one of the most important sanctuary of the city for the people’s devotion.
The sanctuary, situated at the crossing between Galliera road and Riva di Reno road, has been recently restored both in the inside, by the Foundation of the Mount together with the Camilliani, and in the frescoed facade, by the Pii Istituti Educativi(Charitable Educational Institutions), the current owner of the building.
Since the XIII century San Martino has been the cradle of the Bolognese community of the Carmelites Order. The church was built in the first half of the fourteenth century. It was provided with brick vaults in 1457 and with a new facade at the end of the XV century ( then it was reshaped in Gothic style in 1879). The inside part is elegant and spacious, brightened up by beautiful noble chapels of the Renaissance where some precious paintings are kept.
The SS. Salvatore church has ancient origins and since the 12th century it lodged the Canons Regulars of S. Maria di Reno. In the 15th century they gave to the building a more decorous structure, which was completly replaced in 1606-23 by a new monumental temple designed by the barnabite chaplain Ambrogio Mazenta and the architect Tommaso Martelli.
The S. Bartolomeo and Gaetano church was built in the remote past and in the 11th century belonged to the Benedictines of Nonantola. After having lodged a community of Cluniac monks in the '200 it was demolished in 1516 and was replaced by a more imposing building entrusted to the architect Andrea da Formigine.
The history of this building- which rises above a little height in a picturesque square- refers to the symbology of the holy places in Jerusalem reproduced in the nearby ecclesiastic complex of Santo Stefano. The original round church of the 5th century became in 1118 seat of a community of Lateran Regular Canons; it was restored in '200 and reconstructed in gothic style towards the middle of the 15th century.
The San Paolo Maggiore church was erased between 1606 and 1611 according to the will of the Regular Clergies of S. Paolo, Barnabites. It was built on the design of the brother architect Ambrogio Mazenta and in 1634-1636 the church was enriched with a graceful facade made by Ercole Fichi.
The Church of SS Gregorio e Sirio was built in the old town centre of Bologna in 1532-1535 by Tibaldo Tibaldi and Giov. Antonio di Milano. The church was damaged by an earthquake, and the façade and the vault were rebuilt by Angelo Venturoli.
This church has been rebuilt in 1583 on the plant of an old church. An extension was built in 1680 by G.B. Bergonzoni. Santa Maria della Carità holds many important works of art by Galanino, Valesio, Cignani, Franceschini, Quaini, Crespi, Carracci, Gandolfi, Calvi and Bezzi.
Santa Maria della Visitazione al Ponte delle Lame, was once surrounded by the Reno Canal and by a crowd of lively washerwomen. As it is known, it was originally built on a bridge overlooking the water, in honour of Maria’s visit to Elizabeth, mother of San Giovanni Battista.