The oldest University in Europe through its places
Discovering the University of Bologna through its places and streets... The University and the city are indissolubly linked by centuries of intense relationships. When visiting Bologna it is therefore interesting to know some of the historical places of study and research which made the "Studio" of Bologna famous all over the world.
Read the history of Bologna University
In via Manzoni, home to the Medieval Museum, you will seen an important collection to scene of the teacher with his students. While you are in the Medieval Museum, do not forget to go and see the Peace Plaque engreved in 1222 to commemorate the peace treaty drawn up etween the students and the City Government, after the latter had put a student to death for having insulted a lady.
Just in front of Santa Maria della Vita church, some stairs lead to the majestic portico belonging to the ancient Hospital of Death, once located in the area between the portico of Pavaglione, Via de' Foscherari, Via Marchesana and Via dei Musei (former Via della Morte).
The building of the Palace was commissioned by Cardinal Borromeo between 1562 and 1563 following the project by architect Antonio Morandi called Terribilia; it was to house the lecture halls for the University Study (Law and Arts). Up to 1803 it was the seat of the University and since 1838 it has housed the Civic Library.
In Via Castiglione, on the wall of Palazzo della Mercanzia, a plaque commemorates the exemption from duties granted at the beginning of the 15th century to the students of the University of Bologna, which is evidence of the "Studio" prestige in municipal life.
The palace, designed in the mid 16th century probably by Pellegrino Tibaldi with the contribution of Bartolomeo Triachini, who is attributed in particular the inner courtyard, became the new seat of the National University, after the reform of Napoleon's period (1803).
The Botanical Garden of the University of Bologna is one of the oldest in Italy. It was founded in 1568 on the initiative of Ulisse Aldrovandi (1522-1605). After several transfers found its permanent home in Via Irnerio, a short distance from Via Zamboni. The total area is about two hectares and on it have grown more than five thousand specimens of native and exotic plants.
The library open its doors to the public in 1756. With the first library decree of the United Italy (1869) the library came to be one of the most important in the country and in 1885 it was officially recognized as of University Status.