Palazzina della Viola
Casino ..per li secreti e solitari piaceri’ of Annibale, the son of Giovanni II Bentivoglio. The pleasure pavilion was thus described by court poet G. Sabadino degli Arienti. The building made in the late 15th century shows a quadrangular layout and three fronts enlivened by a harmonious double open gallery. In 1540 Cardinal Bonifacio Ferrerio acquired the villa to install there the college with the same name housing students from Piedmont, which later was closed down in Napoleon's period. The frescoes in the open galleries date back to the 1540's; they were painted by a follower of Raphael's style, Innocenzo da Imola, with mythological scenes (Diana and Actaeon, Endymion and Selene, Apollo and Marsyas, Venus and Eros). At the ground floor a lacunar ceiling decorated with heads and other subjects is attributed to the late activity of Amico Aspertini. The large hall on the first floor is painted with the stories of Pope Sylvester and Emperor Constantine frescoed by Prospero Fontana in the 1550's. The freeze with putti is instead attributed to Nosadella. After the suppression of the College in 1797, the building was acquired by the Government of the Italian Republic in 1803 and assigned, together with the adjoining field, to the Faculty of Agriculture and the Botanical Garden. In early 20th century the local Cassa di Risparmio promoted restoration of the premises, followed by the 1946-47 reconstruction of the North-Eastern corner of the building hit by an air-raid bombing.