Basilica of San Giacomo Maggiore
Placed in one of the most attractive squares of Bologna, it was built between 1267 and 1315 by the hermit Augustine Fathers and it was restored at the end of the fifteenth century. The inside part, which is composed of a wide and bright nave, hosts famous art treasures, among them the Bentivoglio Chapel, one of the most remarkable creations of the first period of the Bolognese Renaissance, which is embellished with wonderful paintings.
Of great interest also the Poggi Chapel, planned in 1561 by Pellegrino Tibaldi, who made also the paintings, and the tomb of Anton Galeazzo Bentivoglio by Jacopo della Quercia (1453).
Noteworthy also the painting with S. Rocco by Lodovico Carracci, two wooden crucifixes by Jacopo di Paolo (XV century), various Gothic polyptichs and precious paintings in the chapels of the XVI, XVII and XVIII centuries.
Of rare elegance is the Renaissance portico (1477-81) which is next to the church, supported by svelte columns fluted in sandwort and crowned by a precious sculpted frieze ( from the portico depart different sepulchral arks of the Gothic period with paintings remains, from the portico you can enter in the S. Cecilia church, covered with wonderful frescoes of the saint’s life and of San Valeriano, made in 1504-06 by the best masters of the Bolognese school.
The description is taken from the diocesan administration web site: http://www.bologna.chiesacattolica.it