Church of Santi Bartolomeo e Gaetano
The S. Bartolomeo and Gaetano church was built in the remote past and in the 11th century belonged to the Benedictines of Nonantola. After having lodged a community of Cluniac monks in the '200 it was demolished in 1516 and was replaced by a more imposing building entrusted to the architect Andrea da Formigine. He raised the magnificent arcade and embellished it with fine sandstone carvings which are now very spoilt. At the end of '500 the building became property of the Theatines who in 1653-88 decided to rebuild the church on the design of G. Battista Natali and Agostino Barelli. They built a new campanile and a chapel that were terminated in 1694. In the bright and magnificent interior there are paintings by Lodovico Carracci, Guido Reni and the best masters of the bolognese school of '600. In the little chapel on the left side of the high altar the Venerable Pudenziana Zagnoni - mystic of Bologna who died in her prime in 1608- is buried.
The description is taken from the diocesan administration web site: http://www.bologna.chiesacattolica.it