Corpus Domini o Chiesa della Santa
Generally known as the "Church of the Saint" for the presence of Saint Caterina de’ Vigri’s incorrupted body, founder in 1456 of the first convent of Clarisse nuns in Bologna, is one of the most important sanctuary of the city for the people’s devotion. Built between 1477 and 1480 by the tuscan Nicolò Marchionne from Florence and Francesco Fucci from Doccia, the building has a beautiful Renaissance facade, unrefined in some parts, which is brightened up by elegant terracotta reliefs attributed to Sperandio of Mantova.
The inside part, restored by the architect G. Giacomo Monti in 1684-95, is decorated with wonderful paintings by M. Antonio Franceschini, it has ornaments by Enrico Haffner and stucco reliefs by Giuseppe Mazza: unluckily the bombings of the last war destroied in great parts this precious artistic complex.
Noteworthy also some paintings by Franceschini, among them the famous Transito of San Giuseppe (1692), and paintings by Lodovico Carracci, as well as the tombs of physicist Luigi Galvani and of Laura Bassi, a renown woman-scientist of the XVIII century. Worth to visit is adjacent little chapel where you can see the incorrupted body of Saint Caterina from Bologna.
The description is taken from the diocesan administration web site: http://www.bologna.chiesacattolica.it