Church of San Martino
Since the XIII century San Martino has been the cradle of the Bolognese community of the Carmelites Order, the church was built in the first half of the fourteenth century. The church was provided with brick vaults in 1457 and with a new facade at the end of the XV century ( then it was reshaped in Gothic style in 1879). The inside part is elegant and spacious, brightened up by beautiful noble chapels of the Renaissance where some precious paintings are kept, among them paintings by Francesco Francia, Amico Aspertini, Paolo Uccello, Lodovico Carracci, Lorenzo Costa, Girolamo da Carpi, Alessandro Tiarini and Girolamo da Sermoneta who sculpted the pala of the major altar with the Madonna in trono e Santi (1548). Of exceptional quality, for the ornaments and the sonority, is the sixteenth century organ on the right side of the presbytery. Interesting the cloisters and the rooms of the adjacent former Carmelites convent. On the parvis stands the column of the Beata Vergine del Carmelo by Andrea Ferreri (1705).
The description is taken from the diocesan administration web site Curia Arcivescovile