The Historical Museum of Toy Soldiers, founded in 1973 by Mario Massacesi, is hosted in the Villa Aldrovandi Mazzacorati. Its collection lists about 15,000 pieces covering the whole span of this kind of production (from the beginning of the 19th century onwards). The materials are extremely varied - paper, lead, tin, plaster, wood paste, plastic and so on - as well as the origins and type of production (pieces are both single and in series). Among the curiosities: miniature painted cardboard soldiers that once belonged to the poet Giacomo Leopardi, the flat tin "Nurnberg" soldiers, hand-painted models in paste, chalk, plastic and hard rubber and lead soldiers from the half of the 19th century up to the first years of the 20th century. Further, there are thematic collections (Carabinieri, Foreign Legion) and historical reconstructions. Among the rare items: paper soldiers of the Pontifical Army (1820), Hillpert of Nurnberg (beginning of the 19th century), Pellerin d'Epinal (1870), Adam Schweitzer (1820), Lucotte (1900),G. Schneider (1903), Furth (1880-1910); moreover moulds, war-game gear, diorama, tin war machines of the years 1910-1940.