Welcome is Bologna

Museo Civico Medievale

Via Manzoni 4, 40121 Bologna (BO)

Phone +39 051 2193930 - 051 2193916 (biglietteria)

Fax +39 051 232312

Reference maps: C-3

Date of last update: 21/09/2016, 09:41

The museum opened in 1985 in Palazzo Ghisilardi-Fava, but the origins of its foundation may be traced back to 1881. The palace was built as a noble residence towards the end of the 15th century and it is one of the most important and beautiful examples of the Bolognese architecture, dating back to the period of the Bentivoglio family. The Palace is located in a particular area of the city where many layers of ancient artefacts were brought to light during recent restoration works: some Roman ruins of the old Imperial Castle destroyed in 1115 and the 13th century tower of the Conoscenti Family, incorporated when the palace was raised.

The most important part of the museum is dedicated to the Middle Ages: the Early Middle Ages artefacts, the great gold-plated copper statue of Bonifacio VIII, built by the Senese goldsmith Manno Bandini in 1301 for the "Palazzo Pubblico". Nearby the great English cope embroidered at the beginning of the l4th century, one of the most significant works of the Opus Anglicanum, from  S. Domenico Church, may be seen.

A museum so deeply rooted in the history of the city could not avoid a direct reference to the ancient University. As a matter of fact, there are many funeral sculptures dedicated to the teachers of the "Studio" (l4th-15th century).

Other important 15th and 16th century sculptures (Iacopo della Quercia, Francesco del Cossa and Vincenzo Onofri) illustrate the development of the Renaissance Art of which the museum contains many examples, particularly in the section of bronzes. Here, there is the model of Giambologna's famous Neptune, designed for Piazza Maggiore, a masterpiece of the l6th century sculpture.

The Museum also displays beautiful collections of armours (the 16th century armour for jousting is particularly interesting), ivories and glasses, and the 15th and 16th century masterpieces from Murano. Another interesting part of the museum is the illuminated manuscript's section (1995) formed by many important l3th-16th century Bolognese masterpieces.

by bus: lines and timetables on the website www.tper.it

by car: located in restricted traffic zone ZTL. Ring road exits  n. 11/11bis-12 direction city center.

full € 5.00, reduction € 3.00 (visitors over 65, visitors from 18 to 25, groups of min. 10 people, Comune di Bologna Family Card and YoungERcard holders, special agreements)

Free admission: first Sunday of each month, young people up to 18, university students with membership card, classes of secondary schools, 2 leaders for each school group, 1 leader for each group of 10 people, 1 adult with a child who attends workshops planned by the museum, tourist guides with badge, journalists with badge, disabled people and their helpers, Icom members, special agreements, people as indicated in clause 4, paragraph 3, letter a, b, d, e, f, g, h, i – Decree n. 507 dating 11/12/1997 and further modifications  (also students and teachers of  Conservatory and other schools as specified in the letter h of the decree), Musei Metropolitani Card owners,  Bologna Welcome Card owners.

Tuesday-Friday: 9.00 am - 3.00 pm - Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays: 10.00 am - 6.30 pm. Closing days: Mondays (except holidays)  May 1st, December 25th, January 1st. 

Guided tours, educational services, bookshop, conference room, access for the disabled, Italian captions, audioguides Italian and English.
Guided tours for schools are available by appointment during the school year. Info: Educational Department tel. +39 051 2757209 and +39 051 6496652 or MCAADidattica@comune.bologna.it

Museo Medievale