An old parish church was built already in the 8th century, during the Lombard period, at least according to the tradition. First documents that prove the existence of the church are from 1221. The church was rebuilt several times during centuries, mainly in the 14th and 15th centuries. From the middle of the 16th century, the Church of Gaibola became the administration centre for churches in neighbourhoods: Casaglia, Roncrio, Paderno, Santa Maria della Misericordia and San Giuseppe Sposo. The present building is from 1859.
Source: Bologna sacra. Tutte le chiese in due millenni di storia. Marcello Fini