It is one of the most interesting Romanesque-Lombard architectural style building of the whole Bolognese area, dating back to 1096 and restored to its original form in 1920 by architect Giuseppe Rivani, scholar of Alfonso Rubbiani.
The exterior of the church, embellished by Byzantine carvings, features a gabled facade and a well-preserved major apse decorated with an interesting 12th-century blind gallery.
The interior of the church, covered by a wooden truss ceiling, is organized in three naves divided by columns with selenite capitals.
A central staircase leads to the presbytery, where lies a peculiar altar, carved with the head of a pagan divinity with ram’s horns. This pagan altar, which underwent the exorcism of a cross carved into the stone, documents the passage to Christianity of the ancient population of the area. Another notable element is the eagle of the Svevi Empire on the parapet of the pulpit.