Welcome is Bologna

Corpus Domini o Chiesa della Santa

Via Tagliapietre, 19 - 40123 Bologna (BO)

Phone +39 051 331277

Reference maps: E-3

Date of last update: 08/11/2017, 11:51

Corpus Domini is one of the most important churches in Bologna. It was built between 1477 and 1480 by Nicolò Marchionne from Florence and Francesco Fucci from Doccia. The building is also known as Chiesa della Santa (the Church of the Saint) because it still preserves the body of Santa Caterina de' Vigri. In 1456 Santa Caterina founded the first convent for the Poor Clares where she lived until her death. To this day, 500 years hence, the Saint’s body has been housed there in the chapel, unchanged through the centuries.

The church has a gracious Renaissance facade, the only element that remains of the original building. The oldest section is ornate with elegant terracotta reliefs ascribed to Sperandio from Mantova.

The interior of the building was totally restored by the architect G. Giacomo Monti in 1687, who completed it with paintings by M. Antonio Franceschini, ornaments by Enrico Haffner and stucco reliefs by Giuseppe Mazza: unluckily most of these valuable works of art were lost or partially destroyed in bombings during the Second World War.

Other works housed in the church include: the famous painting Transito di S. Giuseppe by Franceschini, some paintings by Lodovico Carracci, the tombs of physician Luigi Galvani and  famed 18th-century scientist, Laura Bassi. 

 


Source: Curia Arcivescovile and Le Chiese di Bologna (L'Inchiostroblu)

Corpus Domini is one of the most important churches in Bologna.

It was built between 1477 and 1480 by

Nicolò Marchionne from Florence and Francesco Fucci from Doccia. The bu

ilding is also known as Chiesa

della Santa (the Church of the Saint) because it still preserves the bod

y of Santa Caterina de' Vigri. In

1456 Santa Caterina founded the first convent for the Poor Clares where she lived u

ntil her death. To

this day, 500 years hence

,

the Saint

s body has been housed there in the chapel, unchanged through the

centuries

.

The church has a gracious Renaissance facade, the only element that remains of

the original building

.

The oldest section is ornate with elegant terracotta reliefs ascribed to Sperandi

o from Mantova.

The interior of the building was totally restored by the architect G. Giac

omo Monti in 1687, who

completed it with paintings by M. Antonio Franceschini, ornaments

by Enrico Haffner and stucco reliefs

by Giuseppe Mazza: unluckily most of these valuable works of art were lost or

partially destroyed in

bombings during the Second World War.

Other works housed in the church include: the famous painting

Transito di S. Giuseppe

by Franceschini,

some paintings by Lodovico Carracci, the tombs of physician Lu

igi Galvani and famed 18

th

-century

scientist, Laura Bassi.

by bus: lines and timetables on the website www.tper.it

by car: located in restricted traffic zone ZTL. Ring road exits n. 1-2 direction city center.

Santuary > opening time: every day 9,00 am - 12,00 pm and 3,00 pm - 7,00 pm. Saint Chapel > Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday - Sunday: 9,30 am - 11,30 am and 4,00 pm - 5,45 pm. Ottavario di Santa Caterina: every year from 8 to 16 March. During this period the chapel will be open every day.  During the religious services, the tourist visits are suspended. Opening times can be subjected to little changes. For further information: www.santuariocorpusdomini.it

Corpus Domini o Chiesa della Santa

Nearby