Welcome is Bologna
MAP

Church of Santi Gregorio e Siro

Via Montegrappa, 15 - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Phone +39 051 237953

Reference maps: C-3

Date of last update: 10/05/2016, 17:30

The Church of SS. Gregorio e Siro was raised in the city centre between 1532 and 1535 by Tibaldo Tibaldi and Giovanni Antonio from Milan. In 1780 the façade and the arches were rebuilt by Angelo Venturoli because the church had been partly ruined by a particularly aggressive earthquake.
On the façade of the building there is the emblem representing the Ghisilieri family who had been living here until 1445. In 1532 a church was built next to the original building and the family tower was turned into a bell tower.
The church is plain outside but full of works of art inside: there are some great paintings by Camillo Procaccini, Lucio Massari, Calvart, Calvi and Carracci and the grave of a famous Bolognese man: the physician and biologist Marcello Mapighi.

 

Source: guidebook Ricci Zucchini and Le Chiese di Bologna (L'Inchiostroblu)

by bus: lines and timetables on the website www.tper.it

by car: located in restricted traffic zone ZTL.  Ring road exits  n. 1, 2, 4 direction city center.

Monday - Saturday: 8.00am - 12.00pm and 5.00pm - 7.00pm; Sunday 9.30am - 12.30pm and 5.00pm - 7.15pm (call for confirmation) During the religious services, the tourist visit could be limited or suspended. Opening times can be subjected to little changes. For further information please call: Curia Arcivescovile tel. 051 6480611.

Nearby