The Church of Santa Maria della Visitazione whose name derives from the visit of the Virgin Mary to Elisabeth, the mother of John the Baptist, was originally built on a bridge on the Reno Canal.
Its foundation dates back to the plague of 1527, when the people of Bologna gathered together in prayer before the image of the Virgin Mary painted on a tabernacle on the Lame Bridge (“lame” means “blades” in Italian). When the plague was defeated, the church was built in order to safeguard the miraculous image. It was managed first by the Confraternita dei Devoti and later, from 1764, by the Confraternita dei Poveri di San Rocco.
Sunday and holidays: 9:30am - 12:30pm. During the religious services, the tourist visit could be limited or suspended. Opening times can be subjected to little changes. For further information please call: Curia Arcivescovile tel. 051 6480611.
Guided tours for groups are possible with tourist guides, who will make arrangements with the rector, calling +39 051 520325.