Cenobio di San Vittore is located on Monte Giardino, outside Porta Castiglione, not far from Colle di Barbiano, and it is surrounded by green fields and woods. The church was named after San Vittore, a 4th century martyr, and it was founded in the 11th century when the Canons Regular of the Lateran settled down. In 1178 the bishop of Bologna, Giovanni IV, consacrated it. From that moment, the building didn't suffer radical changes (apart from some improvement works in the XV century) until 1789 when, like many other abbeys in Bologna, it was shut down by Napoleon. After that period the church was restored to its original use until 1997. After many problems mainly due to negligence, the church was totally renovated in 1999 thanks to the help of Wojciech Przeklasa. The inside building, enriched by a wooden choir dating back to 1421-26, is particularly quite and evocative, while the nearby cloister, built in the XII century and restored at the end of the XV century, is extremely airy.
Source: Curia Arcivescovile and Le Chiese di Bologna (L'Inchiostroblu)
Sunday 9.30am - 11.30am (weekdays by appointment). During the religious services, the tourist visit could be limited or suspended. Opening times can be subjected to little changes. For further information please call: Curia Arcivescovile tel. 051 6480611.