Welcome is Bologna
MAP

Manifattura delle Arti

Via Azzo Gardino, 65 Bologna (BO)

Reference maps: B-2

Date of last update: 26/07/2016, 16:09

Manifattura delle Arti (Arts Factory) - situated in the heart of Bologna - extends over an area of about 100,000 square metres.  The area was the city's port zone between the Renaissance and the 19th century, and together with its protoindustrial hinterland of canals (Canale di Reno, Navile, Moline, Aposa), it was also the mercantile and manufacturing heart of Bologna's economy at least until the end of the 17th century. Originally designed in 1883 by the architects Priori and Buriani, the area was gutted by the town plans of 1889 and 1937 and the demolitions resulting from the bombings of World War II. It was restructured between 1996 and 2003 with the joint undertaking of the City of Bologna and the University of Bologna to the design of the architect Aldo Rossi.
The area is subdivided as follows: Manifattura Tabacchi (Tobacco Manufacture, today housing the Film Library of Bologna), the Castellaccio (recovered for housing purposes), the old paper mill Mulino Tamburi (premises of the Department of Philosophy and Communications of the University); and the area of the former Macello (Slaughterhouse) is located on Via Azzo Gardino, reached going down toward Porta Lame.
The complex includes the previously restored exhibition structure Salara, the rampart of Porta Lame, an integrated unit for a playschool and nursery school, and the Modern Art Gallery in the former Forno del Pane (Bread Oven), the Music and Performance Laboratories of the University (Arts Laboratories), and the Cavaticcio Park.
The park is a very charming narrow strip of vegetation that covers a few hundred metres of the complex and is currently covered. At one time it was where the old Bologna port was located. Its name is tied to the Cavaticcio canal, diverted from the Reno canal, that made a good 15-metre fall here and that was exploited as a source of energy by the many works (factories and mills) operating in this zone since the 12th century.


Manifattura delle arti

Nearby